Monday, February 1, 2010

Beginning

I'm really good at starting things. Really really good, in fact. I've started applying to grad school, then backed out. I've started committing to jobs, then changed my mind. I start projects and never finish them, make lists and lose them, plan events and watch them fizzle out. Perhaps the most glaring "start" I've made is half-marathon training. As those closest to me will confirm, I have planned on running 3 half- marathons in half as many years. How many have I finished? Not one. Not even close.

Now, I'm one to believe that every person has strengths and weaknesses. I'd like to think I'm a leader, a go-getter, and an all around put-together person (at least nowadays). However, my strengths do not lie in finishing things. As I spend this year of my life trying to grow up a bit, I want to focus on weaknesses and turn them to strengths. Therefore, I must finish something. Anything.

So, why not a 13.2 miles? Sure, it seems perfectly easy to commit to on a cold January night. But really, this is insane. This is insurmountable. What the eff am I doing to myself? I'm practically waking up in cold sweats and I've only started day one.

Luckily, I have agreed to run this with a longtime friend who is much more committed of a person than I. Letting her down would be terrible, so I'm hoping that fact will motivate me.

I have decided to chronicle my journey through the 3.5 month training program. It may be painful and miserable for me, but at least it should be entertaining for someone else. Let the quitter's half- marathon begin. 103 days and 13.2 miles to the finish line.

1 comment:

  1. “Art is never finished, only abandoned.” - Leonardo Da Vinci

    Don't worry. We do the best we can with what we got.

    - The Big Dirty

    ReplyDelete