Monday, May 10, 2010

I've Come A Long Way

So, yesterday marked ONE WEEK until the race! I am pleased and proud to say I successfully completed the last long training run: 10 miles. I think it was sore legs combined with a windy and cold morning but 10 was wayyyy more difficult than the 9 I ran last Monday. I made it though, in slightly under 2 hours, and that felt pretty darn good. My pace is embarassingly slow- if I cared about my pace. I never have and I probably never will so actually I'm not embarassed.

Quite the opposite, in fact. While I was running I tried to fill my head with positive thoughts to keep me going. The overwhelming notion was how truly far I have come as a person in just a few short years. This training program, and blog, started as sort of a joke back in February- a "can I really follow through with something?" sort-of-thing. It has ended up being so much more though. It has led me to the realization that I can accomplish difficult physical tasks and I am not a failure. I also realized, and this is perhaps the most stunning part, that I have grown up quite a bit. Four years ago I was lucky to wake up alive on a Sunday morning in the Spring thanks to man-made forces of debauchery, i.e. Greek Week. The same goes for 3 years ago and maybe even 2. Last year was a little more tame but not much. However, yesterday I woke up early, ate a healthy breakfast, and RAN 10 MILES. Who am I? an adult?! Yikes.

I am pretty freaking proud of myself for that. I survived college and have been elevated to some strange semi-responsible status a mere year later. Sure, I may have come to this conclusion without the half marathon but it would have been for a way lamer reason, like I can pay my bills on time with my own money. Borrring.

Instead, I laid the smack down on 10 miles of the towpath trail and I am therefore, a badass. A grown -up badass.

A grown-up badass who is going to (kind of) (definitely) dominate 13.1 miles next Sunday in Cleveland with her very first Ohio State friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment